(CTN News) – A Thai woman posted a video exposing a man who was engaged in inappropriate behavior, including masturbating and sexually harassing her, while they were both on a public bus journey from Bangkok to Nakhon Nayok province.
Her intention was to condemn this unacceptable behavior and alert others to the incident.
The victim, a 23-year-old named Boat, shared the video of the sexual harassment incident on Facebook on Monday, September 18th.
In the video, a man seated next to Boat can be seen engaging in lewd actions, including masturbating and touching his private parts. To conceal his actions from the bus driver and staff, the man used a bag to cover himself.
In her caption, Boat disclosed that she refrained from seeking help or fleeing because of her fear that the sinister individual might be concealing a weapon in his bag, posing a potential threat to her safety.
Despite her palpable anxiety, she made a concerted effort to suppress her emotions and document the inappropriate actions of the individual as crucial evidence.
Brave Passenger Exposes Disturbing Incident of Sexual Harassment on Public Bus
Boat later recounted to Channel 3 that the unsettling incident transpired around 10 a.m. on September 18. She had boarded the Bangkok-Nakhon Nayok public bus and occupied a double seat, leaving the adjacent seat unoccupied.
However, when the bus reached the Ongkharak intersection in Nakhon Nayok, the suspect chose to sit beside her.
Boat couldn’t recall whether she or the man had boarded the bus first, but a video she shared unmistakably revealed that the man deliberately approached her. At the time, the bus was relatively empty, with numerous vacant seats.
According to Boat’s account, the man approached her and, with his arm, touched her breast. Subsequently, he unzipped his trousers and inserted his hand.
This shocking incident prompted Boat to begin recording a video, with the intention of exposing the man’s inappropriate behavior to the public.
Boat continued to record the video until she reached her destination. When she informed the bus driver that she was disembarking, her voice startled the man, causing him to hastily exit the bus.
Instead of filing a formal complaint with the police, Boat chose to share the video with the public as a means of cautioning others.
She implored people not to remain silent, emphasizing the importance of seeking help promptly for anyone who has experienced sexual harassment.
Taking Action Against Sexual Harassment: Steps to Consider
Sexual harassment is a serious issue that can affect people regardless of their nationality or gender. If you or someone you know is facing sexual harassment, it’s essential to take action. Here are some steps you can consider:
- Document the incidents: Keep a record of the incidents, including dates, times, locations, and descriptions of what happened. This documentation can be important if you decide to take legal action.
- Talk to someone you trust: Share your experiences with a friend, family member, or coworker you trust. They can provide emotional support and help you make decisions about what to do next.
- Report the harassment: If the harassment is happening at work or at an educational institution, report it to your supervisor, human resources, or a relevant authority. They should have policies in place to address and investigate such complaints.
- Contact law enforcement: If the harassment involves criminal behavior, such as assault, contact your local police department to file a report. Provide them with any evidence you have.
- Seek legal advice: Consult with an attorney who specializes in employment or civil rights law. They can provide guidance on potential legal actions you can take.
- Contact support organizations: Reach out to organizations that specialize in supporting victims of sexual harassment, such as crisis hotlines or local women’s shelters. They can provide resources and assistance.
- Self-care: It’s essential to prioritize your well-being during this difficult time. Consider seeking counseling or therapy to help you cope with the emotional impact of harassment.
Remember that the specific steps you take may vary depending on your circumstances and the laws in your location. It’s crucial to consult with professionals who can provide guidance tailored to your situation.