(CTN News) – In a remarkable turn of events, a single ticket sold in California has clinched the Powerball jackpot, bagging an astonishing $1.76 billion (£1.4 billion) – marking the second-largest lottery prize in history.
The winner, whose identity remains undisclosed, now faces the tempting choice of receiving the winnings over 30 years or opting for an estimated lump-sum payment of $774.1 million.
The Golden State is no stranger to lottery fortune, as the largest jackpot win in history, a staggering $2.04 billion, also occurred there in November 2022.
This extraordinary stroke of luck defies the staggering odds, with the likelihood of claiming the Powerball jackpot standing at a mere one in 292.2 million, while the probability of being struck by lightning over the next year is a comparatively low 1 in 1.22 million, according to the US National Weather Service.
The winning ticket was purchased at Midway Market & Liquor, located 75 miles (120 km) north of Los Angeles, illustrating the potential for life-changing fortunes from purchasing a $2 ticket. Due to increased ticket prices and game rules alterations, the Powerball game’s jackpots have grown to billion-dollar levels.
Players now choose five numbers ranging from one to 69, as opposed to the previous range of one to 59. Furthermore, the Powerball selection has been narrowed to one through 26, down from one through 35, increasing the odds of claiming the grand prize from one in 175.2 million to the current one in 292.2 million.
This extraordinary win showcases the dream-like possibilities that the Powerball lottery offers and cements California’s status as a hotbed of lottery fortune as lucky ticket holders continue to emerge from the Golden State.
Powerball Winning Numbers For October 11, 2023
Are You Having a Lucky Today?
Here are The Powerball Winning Numbers For Today:
22 – 24 – 40 – 52 – 64 and Powerball 10
Powerplay was 2x
Meanwhile, according to the Mega Millions website, the Mega Millions jackpot is at $230 Million for Tuesday’s drawing with a cash option of $107.8 million.
What was the biggest Powerball jackpot?
Here are the Top 10 jackpots since the Powerball lottery began in 1992:
- $1.586 billion, Jan. 13, 2016: Three winners in California, Florida, Tennessee
- $768.4 million, March 27, 2019: Won in Wisconsin
- $758.7 million, Aug. 23, 2017: Won in Massachusetts
- $730 million, Jan. 20, 2021: Won in Maryland
- $699.8 million, Oct. 4, 2021: Won in California
- $687.8 million, Oct. 27, 2018: Two winners in Iowa, New York
- $632.6 million, Jan. 5, 2022: Two winners in California, Wisconsin
- $590.5 million, May 18, 2013: Won in Florida
- $587.5 million, Nov. 28, 2012: Two winners in Arizona, Missouri
- $564.1 million, Feb. 11, 2015: Three winners in North Carolina, Puerto Rico, Texas
Related CTN News: