Music legend Rod Stewart and his son will face no jail time or fines after pleading guilty to battery in connection with an altercation with a Florida security guard, prosecutors said Friday.
On New Year’s Eve 2019, 76-year-old Rod Stwart and his son were accused of hitting a hotel guard outside a children’s party at the luxury Breakers hotel in Palm Beach.
Stewart, his son Sean and other family members including children were reportedly refused entry to a party in the resort’s children’s section.
Known for his hoarse voice and long blond hair, the singer pleaded guilty to simple battery, which is usually punishable by a fine.
Stewart and his son were not adjudicated, meaning that they did not face criminal consequences, while the court avoided a lengthy and costly process.
Stewart’s lawyer Guy Fronstin told reporters that “no one was injured in the incident and no one was found guilty of the charges.”
“Rather than file a lawsuit, Sir Rod Stewart opted to enter a plea to avoid the inconvenience and unnecessary burden that a high profile case would impose on the court and the public.
The case was resolved without Sir Rod Stewart being convicted, sentenced to jail, or put on probation.”
Florida State prosecutors told the judge on Friday that victim Jessie Dixon had no objection to the resolution.
More than 30 studio albums have been released by Stewart, who has had the number one hit “Tonight’s the Night (Going to Be Alright)” and “Sailing.”
A knighthood was bestowed upon him by Queen Elizabeth II in 2016.
Earlier this year, he announced that he had been given the all-clear from prostate cancer.
Sean, Stewart’s son, has been involved with drugs and the law throughout his life. Sean Stewart was arrested for assault in 2002 after a fight broke out outside a Malibu restaurant and he entered a no-contest plea.
In 2015, he was arrested for riding the baggage carousel into the restricted part of the Miami airport.