But some people have abused certain types for their hallucinogenic and euphoric effects. Psilocybin and psilocin are the hallucinogenic compounds found in magic mushrooms. These types of mushrooms are endemic in South America and Mexico. You can also find them in the southern and northwest regions in the U.S.
Many indigenous communities and cultures use wild and medicinal mushrooms for native and religious rites. There are more than a hundred species of them all over the world. There are shroom species that offer adaptogenic effects that improve one’s brain health. And there are species that help one become more mindful, helping manage their brain activities.
What Are The Benefits of Magic Mushrooms
People use magic mushrooms for their brain activity enhancements. But recent clinical studies have shown that it offers a lot of medical benefits.
Studies have shown that magic mushrooms were effective in treating terminally ill patients. Also, using them helped patients cope with feelings of existential distress. Furthermore, psilocybin showed promising results in treating depressive symptoms.
There’s still a stigma when it comes to magic mushrooms. It is still considered a Schedule I drug by the federal government. But things are changing as more people are now becoming aware of its benefits.
Individuals and organizations are also campaigning to decriminalize its use. Some states in the U.S. have already done so. With the recent improvements, the future looks bright for entheogenic substances.
What Do Magic Mushrooms Look Like?
Magic mushrooms usually have long and slender stems, which are often white or greyish. Their caps have dark gills on the underside. But, when you dry these mushrooms, they turn into a reddish rusty colour with some off-white areas.
There are times that poisonous mushrooms are mistaken as magic mushrooms. So it would be best not to go out on your own and forage for them by yourself, especially if you have no background in identifying them.
How Can You Consume It?
Most of the time, you can ingest these shrooms orally. But, you can mix it with other food because it can have a bitter and unpalatable taste. You can also drink it as tea.
What Are The Effects?
People use magic mushrooms for their hallucinogenic effects. The psychological reaction will include visual and auditory hallucinations. There are also physical effects involved. Here’s a list of the most common things you will experience:
- intensified sensory perception
- mixed senses like hearing colours or seeing sounds
- detachment from the current self or environment
- increased body temperature, sweating
But, when you misuse these mushrooms, you can experience horrible side effects. For example, when you overdose on magic mushrooms, you will experience these:
- stomach cramps
- disturbing images and sounds
Some call these the effects of a “bad trip,” and these adverse effects can last a lifetime. It’s also possible for someone to mistake a poisonous mushroom for a magic mushroom. When this happens, mushroom diarrhea occurs, according to magicmushrooms101.com, and you will feel the following symptoms:
- mild to severe diarrhea
- gastrointestinal irritation
- kidney damage
Accidental consumption of poisonous mushrooms can lead to toxicity and worse death. So when you experience these symptoms, you need to seek emergency medical care.
Also, continuous use of magic mushrooms can lead to mushroom tolerance. This means that even when you increase your dosage, the effects remain the same. When this happens, cross-tolerance also occurs.
What Is Cross-Tolerance?
Cross tolerance means you have reached a certain tolerance level to psilocybin and psilocin. But, even when you increase your dosage, you will still feel the same effect. So you may want to try other hallucinogenic substances such as mescaline from peyote or LSD. But, doing so will have the same result.
How Long Does The Trip Last?
Usually, the entire trip can last for eight to twelve hours. But, it will still depend on how you introduced psilocybin or psilocin in your body. If you ear it as it is, the effects will kick in faster. But when you ingest it in combination with other foods, it can take some time.
According to research, the drug can stay in your system for up to three days. But several factors can affect this, such as:
- metabolic rate
- medical condition
- drug tolerance
- other medications used
- other drugs used
How To Avoid Risks
The best and only way to ensure that you will have a good trip and not a bad one is by being responsible. Here are some tips that you may find helpful:
- Do not ingest mushrooms foraged outdoors without proper verification.
- Do not forage mushrooms on your own, especially when you do not have a background in identifying the different species. The risk of you getting poisonous variety can be pretty high.
- Get from a reliable source. You can do this online. Or you can ask organizations that promote the use of entheogenic substances.
- Plan and prepare your session.
- Be in the right state of mind and environment when making a trip.
- Start small and start slow. Do not misuse and overdose on magic mushrooms, especially if it’s your first time.
- Have an accountability buddy who will watch over you as you go on a trip. This person should be sober throughout the session.
- Record your experience. If you had a good trip, you could recreate it by doing the same steps. If you had a bad trip, you could use the information to adjust for the next session.
Magic mushrooms have a lot of benefits, but carelessness can cause problems. So, proper handling and use of magic mushrooms are essential, so you can enjoy and have a good trip.
People Also Read:
- Ministry of Public Health in Chiang Rai Warns of Poisonous Mushrooms During Rain Season