Table of Contents
- 1 New features coming to PlayStation 5 and PlayStation 4
- 1.1 PS5 Game Base enhancements
- 1.2 New PS5 UI features
- 1.3 New Accessibility features:
- 1.4 Variable Refresh Rate
Sony released a new software update for both PS4 and PS5. It was announced on the company’s blog today. Sony says the updates have begun rolling out globally today. The highlight of the update will be the Variable Refresh Rate for PS5 on HDMI 2.1-compatible TVs and PC monitors, which will be coming soon to PS5. Learn more about the new features coming to PS5 and PS4 around the world by reading on.
PlayStation’s Senior Vice President, Platform Experience, Hideaki Nishino, wrote in an official blog post, “Thanks to the support of our beta participants, we’re bringing some much-requested features to our global community today, like the ability to create or join Open and Closed Parties on PS5 and PS4 consoles.”
Additionally, Nishino says “On PlayStation 5, we’re also adding UI improvements to Game Base and trophy cards, as well as accessibility features like mono audio for headphones.”
New features coming to PlayStation 5 and PlayStation 4
New Party Chat options
- Open and Closed Parties (PlayStation 5 and PS4 betas)
- Voice chat reporting feature update (PlayStation 5beta)
- Share Play update (PS5 beta)
- Voice chat volume (PS4 beta)
PS5 Game Base enhancements
- Voice chats are now referred to as parties. There are three tabs in the Game Base menu; Friends, Parties, and Messages.
- All friends can be viewed on one tab in the Control Center and players can add other players to a group or create a new group-friendly game Base.
New PS5 UI features
- By filtering their game collection by genre, players can find specific types of games quickly.
- Players will be able to keep their favorite games and apps on their home screens
- as many as 14 games will now appear on the home screen.
- Playstation has updated the trophy cards’ design.
New Accessibility features:
- The Screen Reader is now available in six additional languages: Russian, Arabic, Dutch, Brazilian Portuguese, Polish, and Korean.
- There are now 15 languages supported by the Screen Reader.
- Using headphones with mono audio is now possible.
Variable Refresh Rate
The PlayStation 5 will feature variable refresh rates soon. HDMI 2.1-compatible TVs and PC monitors will support this feature. Variable Refresh Rate dynamically syncs the display’s refresh rate with the PlayStation 5’s graphics output.