BANGKOK -Thailand’s national Police Chief Somyot Poompanmoung has reported that two men identified as suspects in the Bangkok bombing have handed themselves in to police, insisting they are tour guides, authorities say.
The pair were seen in security camera footage shortly before Monday’s blast at the Erawan Shrine.
The men, in red and white T-shirts, rose from a bench shortly before the main suspect, in yellow, sat down and left behind his backpack
The attack at the shrine killed 20 people and injured dozens.
Police are now questioning the pair.
They had said that at least 10 people were suspected of involvement in the attack, and that the prime suspect was foreign.
However, earlier on Thursday, Col Winthai Suvaree, a spokesman for the ruling military junta, said the preliminary conclusion was that it was “unlikely” the attack was the work of an international terror group.
Meanwhile, Tuk-tuk driver Suchart Pan-ngam, 37, stepped forward this afternoon to answer questions to police who had been searching for him since footage of Monday’s attack showed the lead suspect.
Suchart identified himself the driver in CCTV footage bringing the suspect to Grand Hyatt Erawan Hotel on Monday minutes before the blast.
Suchart said he recalled picking the suspect up from a car repair shop near Soi Wat Duang Khae Alley, around three kilometers west of the shrine, according to police officers at the Pathumwan Police Station.
The alley is a five minute walk from Hua Lamphong.
Suchart insisted he had no connection to the bomb plot, police say.
Photo of Two Suspects at Bombing Site Prior to Blast