Connect with us

World News

Iran Dismisses EU’s Concerns Over Missile Program and Rights Abuses

Published

on

 

TEHRAN – Iran foreign ministry dismissed on Tuesday European Union unease about its missile program and rights abuses, calling it “non-constructive”, as Europe seeks to shield Iran from U.S. sanctions while containing its regional policies.

The European Union said on Monday it was gravely concerned by Iran’s ballistic missile tests and called on it to stop activity that deepened mistrust and destabilized the region.

The Iranian foreign ministry said Iran’s missile program was “defensive and deterrent” and Iran would never negotiate over it with other countries.

“Clear threats against the Islamic Republic is not constructive, efficient and helpful, and it is not in line with regional security and real interests of Europe,” Iran’s foreign ministry said in a statement published by the Tasnim news agency.

The European Union said in its 12-point statement that it was committed to the landmark 2015 nuclear deal with Iran that U.S. President Donald Trump pulled out of last May.

Last week, Britain, France and Germany launched a system to facilitate non-dollar trade with Iran and avoid U.S. sanctions.

However, the EU warned that it could no longer tolerate what it said were Iranian assassination plots on its soil.

Iran’s foreign ministry rejected the warning.

“Raising such baseless and hollow accusations while known terrorist and criminal groups are free in Europe, is non-constructive at this stage, and is in line with the goals of enemies who seek to undermine Iran’s relations with Europe,” it said.

The ministry welcomed the new channel for non-dollar trade, known as the Instrument In Support Of Trade Exchanges (INSTEX), but called it “late and inadequate”.

Iran warned that it would revise relations with Europe if it did not benefit economically from INSTEX.

The Iranian regime has just test-fired a medium range ballistic missile that’s capable of carrying multiple warheads. This test violates UNSCR 2231. Iran’s missile testing & missile proliferation is growing. We condemn this act and call upon Iran to cease these activities.

Iran Missile Capable of Carrying Warheads

Secretary of State Mike Pompeo stated in may 2018 that Iran’s government test-fired a medium-range missile “that is capable of carrying multiple warheads.”

The ballistic missile Iran tested has the ability to hit parts of Europe and any location in the Middle East, the secretary said, which he claimed would violate a U.N. Security Council resolution that called Iran to not pursue “any activity related to ballistic missiles designed to be capable of delivering nuclear weapons, including launches using such ballistic missile technology.”

“We condemn these activities,” Pompeo said, “and call upon Iran to cease immediately all activities relating to ballistic missiles designed to be capable of delivering nuclear weapons.”

Pompeo reiterated that sentiment on Twitter.

Iran had not made an announcement or commented on the test

By Bozorgmehr Sharafedin
Reuters

Continue Reading
Advertisement