Connect with us

Regional News

Phrae Man Dies from Brown Recluse Spider Bite



PHRAE – Uthai Viengkam, 46, the man who was the first confirmed person in Thailand to be bitten by a brown recluse spider died on Monday, almost three weeks after he had been poisoned by the venomous spider which is native to the United States. spider_brown_recluse_diagram

The Bangkok Post has reported that Uthai Viengkam was pronounced dead at Phrae Hospital at 2.45pm after doctors amputated his right leg from above the knee on July 22 due to putrefaction and to stop the spider’s poison from spreading. He remained in the intensive care unit ever since.

Uthai suffered multiple spider bites on July 8 to the back of his right foot and on his left calf while he was in bed at his home in Phrae’s Den Chai district, but did not seek medical help until July 10.

Dr Thongchai Meeluakarn, the hospital’s deputy director, said Uthai died from blood infection caused by complications from the spiders venom.

After the operation, he said, the patient’s condition was stable. However, Uthai later experienced low platelet counts and kidney failure which required him to be monitored 24 hours. His condition recently deteriorated and there was bleeding in the large intestine and stomach along with bacterial infection that prevented his body from making enough red blood cells, he added.

Continue Reading

Interesting for You

Doi Chaang Coffee

Volunteering at Soi Dog