Connect with us

Regional News

5 Year Old Dies from Box Jellyfish Attack in Koh Phangan



KOH PHANGAN – A Five-year-old French boy has died after contact with one of the world’s most deadly jellyfish while visiting Koh Phangan

Authorities have urged visitors to the popular Thai resort island of Koh Phangan to take care when swimming after a five-year-old French boy died from a sting by the world’s most toxic jellyfish.

The boy, who was holidaying with his family, died on Saturday evening after he was stung by a box jellyfish – regarded as one of the deadliest creatures on earth.

While stings from the species are rare, they are potentially fatal, prompting police on Koh Phangan to urge hotels and local authorities to warn tourists to be careful in the water.

“Preliminary tests found the boy died of a box jellyfish sting,” Lt Saengroj Somrotrat of the Thai police told AFP, adding that his body was awaiting repatriation to France.

“We have asked them [hotels and resorts] to help warn people and prepare emergency kits if people come into contact with the jellyfish,” he said.

Phangan, in the Gulf of Thailand near Koh Samui, is home to the hedonistic full-moon beach party, which draws hordes of mainly young backpackers from across the world.

The box jellyfish has trailing tentacles up to 3 metres long that can pack a lethal sting for swimmers. It feeds on small fish and crustaceans.

Saengroj said the season for box jellyfish will run until the end of October

Continue Reading

Our Online Shopping Store

Our Store

Interesting for You

Doi Chaang Coffee

Volunteering at Soi Dog