CHIANG RAI – Kavee Prasomphol, chief of the Tham Luang-Khunnam Nangnon national park in Mae Sai district has told a press briefing that Tham Luang cave will be closed to the public from February 19 to allow officials to recover equipment left after the rescue.
Chiang Rai Governor Mr. Prachon Pratsakul, said the closure of the cave would also allow officials and naval personnel to document the scene inside the cave, the outside areas surrounding the cave including the new museum would remain open to the public.
Earlier in January, Navy Seal divers and rescue workers, including British cave diver Vernon Unsworth and park officials, inspected the cave’s interior and found a large quantity of abandoned oxygen tanks, pumps and other equipment.
They entered the cave system only as far as the third chamber, but never reached the location where the 12 footballers and their coach took refuge for more than two weeks before the daring rescue.
Thirteen members of the local Mu Pa youth football team (Wild Boars) were trapped inside the cave by sudden flooding last July when they headed inside after football training.