CHIANG RAI – The National Disaster Warning Centre said on Wednesday that Chiang Rai province could expect continuing aftershocks over the next few months following Thailand’s biggest recorded earthquake in May.
Somsak Khaosuwan, director of the centre, said aftershocks were continuing in Chiang Rai after Thailand’s biggest earthquake in the province on May 5.
He said it was not expected there would be a more severe quake in the immediate future. Aftershocks would continue over the next 2-3 months, but their severity would wane.
People were advised to take precautions and be alert to warnings from the National Disaster Warning Centre.
Since the earthquake with a magnitude of 6.3 on the Richter scale on May 5, there had been 1,146 aftershocks up until Tuesday, including 23 quakes with magnitudes ranging from 5.0 to 5.9 on the Richter scale.
Three aftershocks were detected with the power of 1.9 to 4.3 on the Richter scale in Mae Suai, Mae Lao and Phan districts of Chiang Rai on Tuesday evening. Cracks were spotted in some houses in San Kanhaeo village of Jom Mok Kaeo sub-district in Mae Lao on Tuesday night.
The latest aftershock was sensed at 3.4 on the Richter scale occurred in Phan district of Chiang Rai province on Wednesday at 11.40am, according to the Meteorological Department.
Today’s tremor followed a 4.3 magnitude earthquake on Tuesday at 8.30pm in Phan district of Chiang Rai.
No damage or casualties were reported in either incident.