Table of Contents
In recent days, the Ukrainian government has agreed to the creation of an evacuation corridor for civilians fleeing the northeastern city of Sumy that has been under persistent Russian airstrikes and attacks.
Iryna Vereshchuk, the Ukrainian minister of Reintegration of Temporarily Occupied Territories, said in a letter to the International Committee of the Red Cross that the corridor had been agreed upon by the Russian Ministry of Defense.
The route for the evacuation corridor would run from Sumy through Holubivka and Lokhvytsia to Poltava, a city in the center of Ukraine. It will be open from 9 a.m. all the way until 9 p.m. this Tuesday, Vereshchuk said. He added that “all obstacles … must be removed along the entire route.”
There were no other routes agreed upon,” she said. “We call on Russia to agree on these routes immediately and ensure a stable ceasefire.”
Ukraine hopes that other corridors will follow the Sumy corridor.
Bombing in Sumy: Russian airstrikes on an apartment building in Sumy resulted in the deaths of nine civilians, including two children, according to Ukraine’s State Emergency Services (SES).
This week, several attempts to evacuate civilians failed, with Western leaders accusing Russian forces of targeting pre-approved safe routes.
A Russian strike outside Kyiv on Sunday killed eight people, including two children trying to flee.
Ukraine’s ambassador to the UN accused Russia of blocking efforts to evacuate civilians, saying it was “appalling” that Russian troops opened fire on evacuees on roads both countries had designated for evacuation.