Ministry of Public Health in Chiang Rai Warns of Poisonous Mushrooms During Rain Season

Ministry of Public Health in Chiang Rai Warns of Poisonous Mushrooms During Rain Season
Amanita phalloides of various sizes and stages of growth arrayed for comparison. (Source: Wikipedia)
Amanita phalloides of various sizes and stages of growth arrayed for comparison. (Source: Wikipedia)

 

CHIANG RAI – The Ministry of Public Health in Chiang Rai has issued an official warning to the public about the consumption of poisonous mushrooms, which are easily found during the rainy season.

Since the beginning of this year to July 17th, there were 29 instances of people suffering from the consumption of poisonous mushrooms, in Chiang Rai.

Poisonous mushrooms usually start taking effect 2-3 hours after consumption. Patients usually experience symptoms similar to having food poisoning, such as feeling nauseous, vomiting, having an extreme stomach ache, and diarrhea. Kidney failure may be contracted in extreme cases.

Meanwhile, the Disease Control Department Director-General Dr. Sopon Mekthon advised the public to refrain from consuming mushrooms when drinking alcohol. He said alcohol can accelerate and intensify poisonous effects.

Patients suspected of having eaten poisonous mushrooms should attempt to induce vomiting and be rushed to the nearest hospital.

Facebook Comments