Mindfulness can be seen more as a form of art that one has to master. This is the art of gaining control over your mind, one that tends to wander away to things not meaningful at present. A wandering mind can often be a liability to your self-growth and a reason for slack in progress life.
What Is Mindfulness
Mindfulness is being with yourself in the present and in the focus on whatever you are doing at present. Being in the middle of work and thinking of something else cannot help in the progress or achieving success at work. The art of bringing the mind back to where you are and helping you to focus on what you are doing is called mindfulness.
How Will Mindfulness Help
Mindfulness will help you achieve concentration and focus on your present and the work that you are involved in. it helps the mind to overcome distraction and pay undivided attention to the work or situation at hand. Unless there is mindfulness, success can elude you, and even though you think you are a deserving person, you will not be able to deliver quality at work or in your personal relationships.
How Will You Achieve Mindfulness?
According to Jonah Engler, most of us go through phases of unmindful behavior and we even understand the aftereffects of this state of mind. We lose in progress and success escapes us despite making attempts.
This can be cured with some simple exercises of developing attention and meditation. Spending a few minutes of solitary meditation helps to clear the clutter of the mind of all distractions and pointless thoughts.
How Does Meditation Help
Meditation is an exercise of cleansing and purifying the mind; this helps you to gain focus on your inner self and then calm your mind from within. Once that is done you feel relaxed and your mind is less flitting. It tends to linger on over one point of focus. This can be suitably channelized to the present work pattern for greater success.
How Often Should One Meditate
Meditation is not a one-off activity that should be done only when one is disturbed. However, troubled minds are a great time to start with meditation. For best effects and results one should continue the practice of meditation daily to avoid any loss of focus in the future.
It may not be possible to practice meditation every day owing to hectic work life commitments; hence, making a routine for meditation on a weekly basis would be appropriate.
How To Practice Mindfulness
- Mindfulness can be made a practice of daily life in the form of meditation
- This helps to bring the wandering mind back to your present
- Yoga should also be practiced as part of the daily routine
- This helps to create positive energy in the body and channel it effectively
- Jonah Engler tells us another means of achieving mindfulness by documenting life in the form of a diary
- In this, you can go through incidents of the present or the past which are emotional or painful in any way as well
- It helps the person to deal with it and even brings a closure
- For ease of purpose, you can also recite mantras or a shloka of your choice to bring the focus of your mind back
- Moving forward is an important goal of mindfulness and for greater success in life
- Before moving forward dealing with the incidents of the past that hold you back is equally important
Effects Of A Wandering Mind
- Lack of focus
- Loss of attention
- Loss of memory
- Lack of participation
- Lack of progress
- Loss of time
- state of anxiety and panic
- fear of losing out
These are some of the immediate effects that you will experience as a result of your distracted life. There may be other repercussions as well.
Importance Of Being Present In Your Life
- You know what you want
- Your work at hand gets completed
- You give 100% to what you are doing
- You are happy with a full contribution
- You are mindful of the needs of your work and family life
- You are more attentive to your personal relationships
- You are in full focus on your life’s goals
How Does Mindfulness Affect Your Physical Health?
Distractions and unwanted thoughts often keep you preoccupied without any end result; you lose out on the precious time of your life. As a result, you don’t pay enough attention to the need for physical exercise and ways to keep the body fit.
When you practice meditation for mindfulness, you gain better control of your mind and it leaves the distractions out of it. You have more time to focus on your present and on things that matter to you most.
- Practicing yoga
- Practicing meditation
- Finding time for physical activities
- Improved blood circulation
- Improved heart condition
- Improved attention span
- Improved activity of the mind makes it sharp
- Ability to focus on personal and surroundings
- Greater emotional control over anger, short temper, and frustration
- Ability to smile and stay happy
- Maintain calmness even in times of crisis
Lifestyle Habits That Help In Enhancing Mindfulness
There is no doubt that meditation and yoga help to gain better control of the mind and help it focus better. However, there are a few other aspects of life as well that can help you with the same end in view.
- Take a walk early in the morning. The fresh air and the morning atmosphere help to clear the clutter of the mind and bring it to a state of calm.
- Eating the right kind of food is very important. There is a need for a balanced meal for a healthy life that gives you a low on toxins diet and is high on food nutrients.
- Drinking and smoking habits need to be controlled and curtailed as much as possible. Meditation and a healthy diet will help immensely as far as the inclination is concerned but some further will still be needed.
- Engage in an activity that you always wanted – traveling, music, building something, social services. This will give you a creative alternative to the hectic work life and make you happier.
- Connecting with elders and old friends is a great way to unwind. Find the time to reconnect with people you have lost on the road to success and achievements.
- Spend quality time with family members and share thoughts. Make them talk to you as much as you talk to them. It will create a healthy atmosphere at home that will build trust and faith in each other.
Importance Of Mindfulness
Once you have embarked on the road to life, work, targets, and success there are many things that may try to pull you down. Mindfulness is like the rubber buoy that helps to stay afloat and maintain the safety – of the mind and the body.