Being involved in an accident, like a car crash or motorcycle accident hiring a personal injury lawyer is your best chance to receive the right compensation for your losses and damages. That’s why it’s crucial to speak with a personal injury attorney as soon as possible after the incident. But what can you expect from such legal expertise?
Free Initial Consultation
Personal injury lawyers in Syracuse, New York typically offer a free consultation for those who’ve been involved in an accident caused by another person’s negligence. For instance, at the Greene, Reid & Pomeroy firm, you get to speak with an experienced personal injury attorney to discuss the circumstances and establish substantial evidence of your case.
Expect that the lawyer will ask some questions to weigh if you have a strong case, so be prepared to answer truthfully and spontaneously as much as possible. If you have a strong case, you can decide to hire the lawyer, sign the paperwork the same day, and start getting full legal help with your claim.
Here are some examples of questions that a personal injury lawyer will ask you:
- Were you at fault in the accident?
- Were there any black boxes or dashboard cameras in any of the vehicles?
- Have you received any medical intervention? Were you rushed to hospital the same day?
- What are the possible reasons that have caused the accident?
- Did you gather any evidence at the scene? What evidence do you have?
In-depth and Detailed Legal Intervention
Once you’ve decided to hire a personal injury lawyer, expect that your case will be treated with dedication and passion. Personal injury lawyers understand the financial impact of not being able to go to work because of a temporary or permanent disability, as well as the trauma involved.
Here are the things you can expect from a personal injury lawyer when it comes to handling your case:
- Conduct a thorough and complete investigation to determine the exact cause of the accident and the parties responsible, such as drunk driving or reckless driving.
- Carry out a detailed and complete analysis of all the pieces of evidence to build a strong case and support your claim for due compensation.
- Provide a straightforward and clear explanation of what to expect in the legal process and possible outcomes of your case.
- Take your personal injury case to trial if this is the best course of action to get the maximum amount of compensation that’s rightfully yours. Your lawyer will prepare you for trial and provide skilled legal arguments.
Protect Your Rights Against Collection Agencies
It’s frustrating not being able to pay your bills, loans, and other types of debt because of a personal injury. A personal injury lawyer can help protect your rights against unfair collection practices. All companies and collection agencies will be notified about your situation and asked to temporarily suspend or stop all collection activities and deal with your lawyer instead of calling or harassing you.
No Upfront Fees
Because personal injury lawyers generally work on a contingency fee basis or “no win, no fee,” it means that you don’t have to pay any upfront fees. Your lawyer will start to work after you sign all paperwork and will only get paid once you’ve received your settlement check from the insurance company.
Here are some tips when it comes to asking the lawyer about the legal fees:
- Ask about the contingency fee percentages. Most contingency fees range from 33% to 40% or one-third of the total settlement amount. If you’re not happy with the quote, you can always negotiate to reduce the percentage, consider legal funding, or seek an alternative agreement.
- Ask if the lawyer will cover all the costs and expenses. Most personal injury lawyers cover all the cost and expenses, such as the filing fees, trial exhibits, medical records, witness fees, investigators, police reports, and depositions, and deduct the amount from your settlement. Other lawyers charge for these expenses when the fees become overdue.
- Ask who will receive the settlement check. It’s already a common practice that the settlement check will be sent to the personal injury lawyer to ensure that all legal services are paid. Your lawyer should explain the amount that needs to be deducted from your settlement check, and you can always dispute any charges.
Now that you know what to expect from hiring a personal injury lawyer, you’re more confident to talk to your prospective attorney. Don’t hesitate to ask any questions that are bothering you concerning the possible outcome of your case. Expect that your lawyer will stand by your side and help you from the start until you get the compensation you deserve.