Using the Word Do in Phrases
1. DO THE ACCOUNTS – keep a written record of money that is paid by and owed to a business
Fred is responsible for the day-to-day running of the business and his wife does the accounts.
2. DO AN ASSIGNMENT – perform a piece of work that is given to you as part of your job or studies
I’m sorry I can’t go out with you, guys. I’ve got to do this assignment for Ms Stone’s class.
3. DO BADLY – not to do well
Ron is doing so badly at school, his parents are planning to home school him.
4. DO YOUR BEST – perform the best you can
’When are you planning to finish this report?’ ’It’ll be ready soon, I promise. I’ll do my best.’
5. DO THE CLEANING – perform cleaning work in the house
Mary would like to hire someone to help her do the cleaning. I don’t blame her. She has a full-time job, three children and a lazy husband.
6. DO THE COOKING – prepare meals
If you do the cooking, I’ll do the washing up.
7. DO A CROSSWORD – solve a puzzle by fitting words into spaces across and downwards
I like doing crosswords in my free time.
8. DO DAMAGE – make something less attractive or valuable by causing physical harm
They won’t be able to sell their house like this. The lightning did too much damage to the roof.
9. DO SOME DICTATION – speaking aloud so that somebody can write down your words
Could you come to my office, Janet? I’d like to do some dictation.’
10. DO THE DISHES – wash the dishes (plates, cups, and bowls)
I did the dishes last night. Now it’s your turn.
11. DO YOUR DUTY – do the work that is your job or that you feel is your moral responsibility
I’ve done my duty for my country. Now I’d like to retire and take up fishing.
12. DO AN EXERCISE – answer a set of questions in a book
Please do exercise one on page 25 for homework.
13. DO SOME EXERCISE – perform movements or activities to stay healthy
My doctor told me to do more exercise.
14. DO AN EXPERIMENT – carry out a scientific test
I don’t like the idea of doing experiments on animals.
15. DO A FAVOUR – do something to help somebody else
Could you do me a favor and pick up my kids from school?
16. DO THE GARDENING – perform work in the garden
I’d like to move into a house, but my wife says we’re too old to do the gardening.
17. DO GOOD – have a useful effect
I’m sure that a few days on a Caribbean island with a new boyfriend would do her good.
18. DO A GOOD JOB – perform well
Thank you, guys. You’ve all done a really good job. You’ll be getting a pay rise soon.
19. DO YOUR HAIR/ MAKE UP/ NAILS – style your hair/ apply make up/ apply nail varnish
My girlfriend spends hours doing her hair and make up every morning.
20. DO HARM – cause damage
Well, she might say no, but I think it does no harm to ask.
21. DO HOMEWORK – do the work that’s been given to you by your teacher
You can go out and play with your friends as soon as you’ve done your homework.
22. DO HOUSEWORK – work and take care of a home and family (cleaning, cooking etc.)
I always do the housework in the morning before I go to work.
23. DO THE IRONING – press clothes so that they are smooth
I like watching films while doing the ironing.
24. DO THE LAUNDRY – wash dirty clothes and linen
We haven’t got a washing-machine so I have to go to a public laundry to wash the clothes.
25. DO THE MATH – reach a logical conclusion
Where do you think Jack’s spent the night? He’s wearing the same clothes as yesterday and he stinks of beer. Just do the math.
26. DO NOTHING – not act
I don’t like working with him. He just wants to do nothing and get paid.
27. DO THE PAPERWORK – do the written work that is part of a job
I’ve spent the whole afternoon doing paperwork. I’m bored out of my mind.
28. DO A PROJECT – carry out a planned piece of work
I’ve got to buy some sodium bicarbonate. My daughter is doing a science project at school.
29. DO A QUIZ – answer questions to test your knowledge
Do this quiz in five minutes and find out your IQ.
30. DO SOME READING – spend time reading to look for information
I don’t think you should buy that car. Do some reading first and find out if it’s a reliable model.
31. DO THE RIGHT THING – do what you think is your moral duty
If you want to do the right thing, you should tell her about last night.
32. DO THE SHOPPING – buy goods for your home (food, cleaning products etc.)
I wish I could do the shopping on my own. The kids keep nagging me to buy things for them.
33. DO SOME STUDY – spend time studying
I did some studying yesterday, but I don’t remember a word.
34. DO TIME – spend time in prison
You’d better tell me what you saw that night if you don’t want to do time.
35. DO A TRANSLATION – changing something that is written in one language to another language
You have to be really creative to do a good translation.
36. DO WELL – prosper, succeed
Their new coffee shop is doing very well.
Learn English on Skype
Inexpensive, Personal, Effective and Enjoyable.
Do you like studying English or Thai by yourself with a book or video? Wouldn’t you prefer to learn with a live coach who will guide you to learn faster?
With SKYPE you can learn from the comfort of your home or office. Your online coach will help you with Vocabulary, Pronunciation, Listening and Speaking. You choose where you want to learn and when you want to learn.