CHIANG RAI – Chinese State Councilor and Minister of Public Security Meng Jianzhu arrived Thursday in Chiang Saen, Chiang Rai where 13 Chinese sailors were slain last October, for an inspection tour, despite rumored threats from the notorious Naw Kham gang.
Chinese Public Security Minister Meng Jianzhu led an official delegation from a highly concerned Beijing to Chiang Saen, to inspect the â€œGolden Triangleâ€ area, to be briefed only by police, not one army official, (which was directly involved) was present.
Meng Jianzhu made the inspection tour following his visits to Laos, Myanmar and Bangkok of Thailand, during which the three countries pledged to make joint efforts to promote security and law enforcement cooperation in order to safeguard the Golden Triangle area.
â€œAs more and more Chinese citizens go abroad, the Chinese government must protect them.â€ Meng said, â€œCriminals in the Mekong case must be brought to justice in accordance with law.â€
Under the security cooperation joint launched by China, Laos, Myanmar and Thailand, drug lord Naw Kham was arrested and extradited to Kunming, China, where he was tried and executed
The truth is that the actual killers of the sailors have never been brought to justice.
Pansiri Prapawat, Thailand’s deputy police chief, said 109 witnesses were interviewed over the gruesome murder, according to the Bangkok Post.
Arrest warrants were issued for nine soldiers over suspected involvement in the murder of 13 Chinese sailors.
They faced charges for murdering and hiding the bodies of the 13 Chinese sailors.
Thailandâ€™s Task Force Pa Muang commander Maj Gen Prakarn Chonlayuth echoed that the army would not shield the nine soldiers from punishment if they were proved guilty.
On Oct 28, 23 days after the massacre,Thailand “arrested” the nine Pa Muang Task Force soldiers, who have since disappeared from the justice system.
General Prakarn Chonlayuth who apparently spearheaded the investigation, went on to ever greater rank and successes, and last year, as a three-star general, he became 4th Army Region commander, in charge of all troops in the deep South, according to the Bangkok Post.
After inspecting the site where the appalling Mekong tragedy took place, Minister Meng visited the Mekong River coordinating center for preventing and cracking down on crimes.
He stressed again that he expected the case could soon be put on trial in order to punish the criminals, bring justice to victims and deepen security cooperation of the countries concerned.