Jen’s English Tip’s – Using the Word Approximately
Using the Word Approximately
Used to show that something is almost, but not completely, accurate or exact; roughly.
Here are some different ways to say approximately.
- The flight takes approximately five hours.
- The flight takes about five hours.
- The flight takes five hours give or take a few minutes.
- This tckets cost approximately $40.00
- This tckets cost about $40.00
- The repairs will cost approximately $300.00
- The repairs will cost $300.00 give or take a few dollars
- Approximately how much will it cost?
- More or less how much will it cost?
- We are expecting about 20 people.
- We are expecting 20 or so people to come.
- He must be 30 or thereabouts.
- Profits have fallen by roughly 50%.
- You can expect to be paid round about $57,000.00.
- The price is somewhere around $80.00.
- She gets paid somewhere in the region of $32,000.00 per year.
All these words and phrases are used in both speaking and writing. Approximately is the most formal and about is the most common.
Learn English on Skype
Inexpensive, Personal, Effective and Enjoyable.
Do you like studying English or Thai by yourself with a book or video? Wouldn’t you prefer to learn with a live coach who will guide you to learn faster?
With SKYPE you can learn from the comfort of your home or office. Your online coach will help you with Vocabulary, Pronunciation, Listening and Speaking. You choose where you want to learn and when you want to learn.
Why not take your first step now?
Reserve your first lesson today.
Only 116 (THB) Thai Baht per half hour.
Short URL: http://www.chiangraitimes.com/?p=33362