Jen’s English Tip’s – Except and Except for
Except and except for
Both except and except for can be used after words like all, every, no, everything, anybody, nowhere, whole etc. In other cases, we use except for.
All the invitees turned up except Sam. OR All the invitees turned up except for Sam.
Both except and except for are possible after all.
Except for Sam all the invitees turned up. (NOT Except Sam all the invitees turned up.)
Combine the pairs of sentences using except try not to cheat.
1. He knows only Malayalam. He does not know any other language.
2. Two boys have not come. All the others have come.
3. John did not stand up. All the other boys stood up.
4. Maya has not passed the test. All the other girls have passed.
5. We have brought all our instruments. But we havenít brought my guitar.
6. He ate everything on his plate. But he didnít eat the potatoes.
7. I have cleaned all the rooms. I havenít cleaned the guestroom.
8. John and Mary came. Nobody else came.
9. Nobody helped me. You helped me.
1. He does not know any language except (for) Malayalam.
2. All the boys have come except (for) two.
3. All the boys stood up except (for) John.
4. All the girls have passed the test except (for) Maya.
5. We have brought all our instruments except (for) my guitar.
6. He ate everything on his plate except (for) the potatoes.
7. I have cleaned all the rooms except (for) the guestroom.
8. Nobody came except (for) John and Mary.
9. Nobody helped me except you.
Learn English on Skype
Inexpensive, Personal, Effective and Enjoyable.
Do you like studying English by yourself with a book or video? Wouldnít you prefer to learn with a live coach who will guide you to learn faster?
With SKYPE you can learn from the comfort of your home or office. Your online coach will help you with Vocabulary, Pronunciation, Listening and Speaking. You choose where you want to learn and when you want to learn.
Why not take your first step now?
Reserve your first lesson today.
Only 116 (THB) Thai Baht per half hour.
Short URL: http://www.chiangraitimes.com/?p=34444