China Experiences Second Factory Chemical Blast in to Weeks

Runxing Chemical factory in Zibo in Shandong province

Runxing Chemical factory in Zibo in Shandong province



SHANDONG – An explosion at another chemical plant in eastern China has killed one person and injured nine other people.

The blast happened Saturday night at the Runxing Chemical factory in Zibo in Shandong province, according to state media.

The fire on Saturday night was put out after about five hours and authorities said no contamination has been detected, Xinhua said.

Windows shattered in the village where the blast occurred, state media said, and tremors could be felt 2 kilometers (1 mile) away.

The factory produced adiponitrile, a colourless liquid that releases poisonous gases when it reacts with fire, according to Xinhua.

The latest explosion happened less than two weeks after deadly blasts at a chemical storage facility rocked the port city of Tianjin,killing more than 123 people, including firefighters, and injuring hundreds more.

The death toll from a warehouse blast in north China’s Tianjin Municipality has risen to 123, including 70 firefighters and seven policemen, authorities said at a press conference on Sunday afternoon.

All victims’ identities have been verified, according to Gong Jiansheng, deputy head of the city’s publicity department.

Fifty people remain missing, including 34 firefighters and four policemen, nearly two weeks after powerful explosions ripped through the warehouses containing dangerous chemicals in Tianjin Port on the night of August 12, Gong said.

A total of 624 people are still hospitalized, including 44 critically or seriously injured. A total of 169 people have been discharged.

Zhang Guoxin, an official with the National Health and Family Planning Commission, said over 80 medical experts from across the nation along with 180 experts from Tianjin are trying their best to treat the injured.

Critical injuries included severe craniocerebral injuries and burns, Xi Xiuming, a medical expert, told the conference, adding that they still need time to recover.

The latest monitoring data showed that cyanide levels in samples from groundwater around the blast site and offshore sea waters were below toxic levels on Saturday, said Deng Xiaowen, head of the city environment monitoring center at the conference.

The water, containing cyanide levels higher than the national safety standard, was contained in the core area of the blast site and will be removed after being processed, he said.

Saturday’s data from the five monitoring stations around the blast site revealed that the air quality in the area was good, Deng said, adding that no new contamination has been detected in the air so far.

Short URL: http://www.chiangraitimes.com/?p=33809

Posted by on Aug 23 2015. Filed under World News. You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0. Both comments and pings are currently closed.
Photo of White Beach in Boracay, Philippines

In Loving Memory of His Majesty the King

Photo of His Majesty the King Bhumibol Adulyadej
Learning Thai with Jen